HHS Nursing Facility Payment Add-ons and Required Provider Attestation
Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) adopted temporary emergency payment rate add-ons for Nursing Facility providers to support access and safety during the emergency declaration related to COVID-19. The emergency payment rate add-ons have a retroactive effective of April 1, 2020, and are assumed to conclude on August 31, 2020 or the end of the federally approved public health emergency.
Superior began reimbursing providers for the add-on payment for new claims processed on July 1, 2020. Adjustment of claims processed prior to that date, beginning with claims for service dates April 1, 2020 and after, will be re-processed to include the add-on payment by August 31, 2020. No action is required from nursing facility providers to facilitate the adjustment for those claims.
Nursing Facility providers receiving the add-on payment for COVID-19 must submit an attestation to HHS affirming that the rate increase will be used for COVID-related expenses in the manner prescribed by HHS; including direct care staff salary and wages, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and dietary needs/supplies.
Additional details related to the required attestation are included below:
- HHS Notice: Temporary Emergency Rate Increases for the Nursing Facility program, including Hospice services provided in the Nursing Facility setting, Effective April 1, 2020
- Nursing Facility providers who receive an add-on payment must complete and submit the following attestation form online as soon as possible, but no later than September 30, 2020: HHS LBB Rate Increase Attestation Form (Preferred Browser is Chrome, Firefox, or Safari).
- HHS will coordinate posting and collection of the attestation.
- HHS will identify and notify Superior of any Nursing Facility that fails to complete a notification.
- Nursing Facility providers who receive the add-on payment, but fail to complete the required attestation by September 30, 2020, will be subject to recoupment of the associated payment increase.
If you have questions about this communication, please contact your Superior Account Manager.