About Superior HealthPlan
We provide Texas healthcare programs that empower you, your family, and your community.
Superior HealthPlan has a commitment to improving the health of the community one individual at a time through affordable and reliable healthcare plans. We have an approach to healthcare in Texas that can meet the needs of each person we serve.
Superior HealthPlan is a managed healthcare company that provides healthcare to many Texas residents. Superior began in El Paso in 1999. Today, Superior serves members in all 254 counties across the state.
Superior works with the State of Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) to bring you STAR (Medicaid), Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), CHIP Perinatal Care and STAR+PLUS and STAR Health. Superior has been the exclusive provider of STAR Health since 2008.
Texas Healthcare Programs
Superior HealthPlan offers a variety of Texas healthcare programs in partnership with the state. Learn more about the individual programs:
- CHIP Perinate: Prenatal and delivery services for unborn children of women from low-income backgrounds who are pregnant and do not qualify for Medicaid.
- CHIP and CHIP RSA: Health-care coverage for families who earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but who can’t afford to buy private insurance.
- STAR (Medicaid) and STAR MRSA: Health-care coverage for people from low-income backgrounds.
- STAR+PLUS (Medicaid): Health-care coverage for people from low-income backgrounds who are elderly or who have a disability.
- STAR Kids (Medicaid): Texas healthcare for children with disabilities, special needs or chronic conditions, who are age 20 or younger.
- STAR Health (Medicaid): Texas healthcare coverage for children/youth in foster care. If you would like to learn more about the STAR Health program, click here to visit our foster care website.
- STAR+PLUS Medicare-Medicaid Plan (MMP): Health care for seniors and people who have disabilities who are enrolled in Medicare Parts A, B, and D and receive full Medicaid benefits.
- Allwell from Superior HealthPlan (Medicare Advantage): Texas Medicare Advantage programs for members who are eligible for Medicare or both Medicare and Medicaid (dual eligible). If you are a STAR+PLUS member and qualify for Medicare you may be able to enroll as a dual eligible member.
Learn how we transform the health of the community, one person at a time, by visiting our Members First webpage now.
Superior is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Centene Corporation, a Fortune 500 company. Centene is a diversified, multi-national healthcare enterprise that provides a portfolio of services to government-sponsored healthcare programs, focusing on under-insured and uninsured individuals. Many receive benefits provided under Medicaid, including the State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), as well as Aged, Blind or Disabled (ABD), Foster Care and Long Term Care (LTC), in addition to other state-sponsored/hybrid programs and Medicare (Special Needs Plans). The Company operates local health plans and offers a range of health insurance solutions. It also contracts with other healthcare and commercial organizations to provide specialty services including behavioral health management, care management software, correctional healthcare services, dental benefits management, in-home health services, life and health management, managed vision, pharmacy benefits management, specialty pharmacy and telehealth services.
In 2019, Superior was designated a Family Friendly Workplace as part of a campaign organized by the City of Austin, The Austin Chamber of Commerce and Early Matters Greater Austin. The designation means Superior is committed to implementing and expanding family-friendly practices, helping to support the physical and emotional health of employees and their families. Learn more at the Early Matters Greater Austin website.