STAR Kids for Your Patients
Superior provides health care for children and youth who get disability-related Medicaid through a Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) program called STAR Kids. Tailored to the needs of youth and children with disabilities, STAR Kids is available through Superior in the Bexar, El Paso, Hidalgo, Lubbock, Nueces, MRSA West and Travis service delivery areas.
Medicaid populations eligible to participate in STAR Kids include children and young adults age 20 and younger who:
- Receive Social Security Income (SSI) and SSI-related Medicaid.
- Receive SSI and Medicare.
- Receive Medically Dependent Children (MDCP) waiver services.
- Receive Youth Empowerment Services (YES) waiver services.
- Receive IDD waiver services (e.g., CLASS, DBMD, HCBS, TxHmL).
- Reside in a community-based ICF-IID or in a NF.
STAR Kids benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Medical and Surgical Services.
- Hospital Services.
- Maternity Services
- Dental and Vision Services
- Durable Medical Equipment.
- Mental and Behavioral Health Services.
- Texas Health Steps.
- Prescriptions (unlimited).
- Therapy – Physical, Speech, Occupational.
Long-Term Service and Support (LTSS) services available to STAR Kids members include:
- Private Duty Nursing (PDN).
- Personal Care Services (PCS).
- Community First Choice (CFC).
Superior offers product-specific training on STAR Kids. Providers can find the schedule for face-to-face presentations or webinars on Superior's Provider Training Calendar.
To learn more about STAR Kids Waiver Services, Benefit Responsibilites and Continuity of Care, please see the reference materials below:
- STAR Kids FAQ (PDF)
- STAR Kids Waiver Services (PDF)
- STAR Kids Benefit Responsibilites (PDF)
- STAR Kids Continuity of Care (Referrals and Authorizations) (PDF)
For additional information on the STAR Kids Program, please click on the following Health and Human Services (HHSC) link: https://hhs.texas.gov/services/health/medicaid-chip/programs/star-kids