STAR Health Foster Care Plan
We Do More for STAR Health Members in Texas.
Discover Superior HealthPlan.
Superior HealthPlan proudly offers STAR Health, a Medicaid managed care program serving children and youth in foster care. Superior is the only health program to include STAR Health coverage for children and youth in foster care in all 254 counties in Texas.
When children are housed within the foster care system, they are often not eligible for a traditional Medicaid plan. This is where STAR Health comes in.
Superior works very closely with the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) to make sure children in foster care in the state of Texas get the medical services they need. These STAR Health services may include:
- Primary and specialty physician care services.
- Prescription drugs and medical supplies.
- Medical checkups, including Texas Health Steps.
- Behavioral health services.
- Hospital care.
- Vision services.
- Family planning services.
- Dental services.
Superior has also established Foster Care Centers of Excellence across Texas. These clinics provide many of the services listed above to STAR Health members.
Superior provides extra benefits and services for STAR Health members. These are called Value-added Services.* This means members can get:
- Expanded vision benefits providing $150 for choice of upgraded eyeglass frames and lenses or contact lenses not covered by Medicaid.
- Up to $30 every quarter for over-the-counter items that are not covered by Medicaid. Over-the-Counter Mail Order Program inforamtion.
- Small grants in the form of gift cards for members to be used for non-Medicaid covered benefits and other items up to $50 per member, per year.
- a2A My Health Pays® Rewards Program offering financial, non-cash incentives up to $125 for members ages 18 through 20 years old who complete wellness visits, dental checkups and more.
- Sports or camp physicals for members ages 4 to 18 years old.
- $20 gift card and journal for members ages 6 to 20 who go to a follow-up doctor visit within 7 days of their mental health or substance abuse related hospital stay
Visit our Value-added Services webpage for more information.
Superior is always planning new and exciting programs and services to help keep you/your child healthy. If you need help getting these extra services or would like more facts, call Member Services at 1-866-912-6283.
Superior also works closely with foster care families and medical consenters. Superior is committed to making sure we help provide culturally competent care. This means that Superior will help with health care and behavioral and social needs.
For more information on the STAR Health program and to learn more about the services, please call Superior HealthPlan’s Member Services at 1-866-912-6283 or visit the STAR Health website.
You can also find more information in the STAR Health handbook.
These services are valid from 9/1/22 through 8/31/23.
*Restrictions and limitations may apply.