Superior offers several professional development and continuing education opportunities throughout the year. These events are designed to support providers and health care professionals by improving the quality of care, services and, ultimately, patient outcomes.
Waco, TX: January 17-18, 2019
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) Training
Sponsored by Superior HealthPlan and Klaras Center for Families
Superior HealthPlan and Klaras Center for Families are providing a no-cost, two-day Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) training for contracted Superior HealthPlan providers as part of our continuing effort to help clinicians treating children in foster care enhance their skills and utilize the best evidence-based tools available.
TF-CBT is an evidence-based treatment for children and adolescents impacted by trauma that includes participation by their parents or caregivers. Research shows that TF-CBT successfully resolves a broad array of emotional and behavioral difficulties associated with single, multiple and complex trauma experiences.
Please carefully review the information below before registering. If you meet criteria and would like to attend, please register as soon as possible to secure a spot. Registrations are on a first-come, first-served basis.
January 17-18, 2019
- Day 1: Please arrive between 8:00-8:30 a.m. to sign in and complete the Pre Test; class runs 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- Day 2: Please arrive between 8:15-8:30 a.m. to sign in; class runs 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Please note: Registered attendees will be emailed more details the week before the class.
Heart of Texas Region MHMR Center
110 S 12th St.
Waco, Texas 76701
Only clinicians who meet all of the following criteria are eligible to attend:
- Contracted Superior Providers (or in the credentialing process).
- Master's degree or above in a mental health discipline.
- Professional licensure in home state (or will be licensed within two years).
- Actively treating children/adolescents in foster care.
- Can commit to and participate in the follow-up TF-CBT Consultation Call Program consisting of twice-monthly, one-hour group conference calls for six months.
If a provider does not meet the criteria above, please visit TF-CBT’s Training website for other TF-CBT Training opportunities outside of our organization.
Learning Objectives and Outcomes:
- Participants will identify and discuss the rationale and benefits of the use of this trauma-specific treatment intervention for children and families experiencing post-traumatic stress and other emotional/behavioral impacts of significant adverse events.
- Participants will have an opportunity to review, appraise and discuss the outcome evidence supporting the efficacy of TF-CBT.
- Participants will identify and summarize, via the use of case studies and examples, how to implement the components of P.P.R.A.C.T.I.C.E., the phase-oriented approach and the efficacy of this model for treating trauma and traumatic grief.
- Participants will have the opportunity to demonstrate the process and approach of completing the Trauma Narrative with a practice case.
- Participants will observe and practice strategies for intervening with both children and their parents or caregivers through training demonstrations and role-plays.
- Participants will be able to verbalize and list the steps needed to develop improved fidelity adherence through ongoing post-training consultation, and the process leading to TF-CBT certification by model developers.
Continuing Education Unit (CEU) Credit:
Approved for 14.5 hours by Texas Board of Social Workers. Most Texas licensing boards recognize hours when a certificate for credit is submitted (this includes LPC, LMFT and substance abuse fields). For questions, participants should contact their licensing board.
Participants who fulfill all training requirements will receive a Certificate of Completion via email within a couple of weeks following the training.
This class satisfies the live two-day training requirement for National TF-CBT Therapist Certification. Please review TF-CBT’s website for more information about certification.
Please note: To receive credit for completing the training, participants must attend both full days, complete the Pre Test and Post Test (given on site at the beginning and end of the training), and Sign In and Sign Out both days. No partial hours will be given.
Superior’s Director of Trauma and Evidence-Based Interventions and certified TF-CBT Trainer, Roy Van Tassell, will provide the training
Prior to attending training, it is recommend that participants complete the Medical University of South Carolina's online TF-CBT training.
Their website provides information about CEs they offer for completing the online course (their CEUs are in addition to those earned by attending this live, two-day training). This is also a good option for clinicians who cannot attend the training to learn more about TF-CBT and earn CEUs.
Please contact Lisa Reed at Lisa.Reed@Centene.com.