We Do More for STAR Kids Members.
Discover Superior HealthPlan
Potential Members: 1-844-664-2257
Current Members: 1-844-590-4883
In 2016, Superior HealthPlan began providing a new Medicaid program called STAR Kids. STAR Kids is health insurance for children with disabilities, special needs or chronic conditions, who are age 20 or younger. Superior works with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) to provide these services.
Some of the conditions that may qualify children and youth for STAR Kids include: HIV infection, total blindness, total deafness, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, severe intellectual disability (child age 7 or older), or birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces.
To get STAR Kids services, an individual must:
- Be age 20 or younger.
- Currently get Supplemental Security Income-related Medicaid or be enrolled in a home and community-based services waiver program, including:
- Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP).
- Home and Community-based Services (HCS).
- Community Living Assistance and Supports Services (CLASS).
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD).
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL).
- Youth Empowerment Services (YES).
- Prescription drugs.
- Primary and specialty care.
- Hospital care.
- Personal care services.
- Private duty nursing.
- Medical supplies and equipment.
- Behavioral health services.
In 2016 when STAR Kids started, children and youth under the age of 21 who received Social Security Income (SSI) and were enrolled in STAR or STAR+PLUS transitioned to STAR Kids. Children and youth who were enrolled in the Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP) began to get of their services through STAR Kids.
Superior offers STAR Kids in the following service areas:
- El Paso
- MRSA West
Superior HealthPlan wants to make sure your child gets the right care. That's why we offer Value-added Services for our members. These are extra health-care services your child may be able to get in addition to regular benefits. If you want to learn more abou these extra benefits, call STAR Kids Member Services at 1-844-590-4883.
- Up to 2 hours of respite care services every 3 months for members not in the Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP).
- $30 every 3 months for commonly-used over-the-counter items through a mail-order program.
- Up to $150 each year for members to enroll in camps.
- Community-based specialty services each month, including music therapy, art therapy, garden therapy and pet therapy.
- $10 gift card and stuffed bear for members who complete a follow-up appointment within 7 days of leaving an inpatient psychiatric facility.
- CentAccount (PDF)®, a rewards program for members ages 18 through 20. Rewards include:
- $25 for completing a Texas Health Steps checkup (up to age 20)
- $20 for getting a well-woman exam (for females)
- $10 for getting a flu shot
- $10 for completing a specified screening
Restrictions and limitations may apply. Services may vary by area. These services are valid through 8/31/19.
For more information on STAR Kids, visit the HHSC Texas STAR Kids website.