We Do More for STAR Kids Members.
Discover Superior HealthPlan
Potential Members: 1-844-664-2257
Current Members: 1-844-590-4883
In late 2016, Superior HealthPlan will provide a new Medicaid program called STAR Kids. STAR Kids is health insurance for children with disabilities, special needs or chronic conditions, who are age 20 or younger. Superior will work with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) to provide these services.
Some of the conditions that may qualify children and youth for STAR Kids include: HIV infection, total blindness, total deafness, cerebral palsy, down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, severe intellectual disability (child age 7 or older), or birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces.
STAR Kids Requirements
To get STAR Kids services, an individual must:
- Be age 20 or younger.
- Currently get Supplemental Security Income-related Medicaid or be enrolled in a home and community-based services waiver program, including:
- Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP).
- Home and Community-based Services (HCS).
- Community Living Assistance and Supports Services (CLASS).
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD).
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL).
- Youth Empowerment Services (YES).
STAR Kids Benefits
- Prescription drugs.
- Primary and specialty care.
- Hospital care.
- Personal care services.
- Private duty nursing.
- Medical supplies and equipment.
- Behavioral health services.
STAR Kids Enrollment
Children and youth under the age of 21 who receive Social Security Income (SSI) and are enrolled in STAR or STAR+PLUS will transition to STAR Kids. Children and youth who are enrolled in the Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP) will get all of their services through STAR Kids.
STAR Kids Texas Service Area
Superior will offer STAR Kids in the following service areas:
- El Paso
- MRSA West
Value-Added Services for Superior STAR Kids Members
At Superior, members can get many great services in addition to their regular benefits. These are called value-added services. From a rewards program to therapy services, Superior is proud to offer many extra services to help keep our members healthy. These services are valid starting 11/1/16. Services may vary by area. Restrictions and limitations may apply. If you have questions, please call 1-844-664-2257.
- CentAccount®, a rewards program for members ages 18 through 20. Rewards include:
- $25 for completing a Texas Health Steps checkup (up to age 20).
- $20 for getting a well-woman exam.
- $10 for getting a flu shot.
- $10 for getting a specified screening.
- $30 allowance per household every 3 months for commonly-used over-the-counter medications through a mail-order program.
- Up to $150 each year for members to enroll in camps or receive respite care services.
- Community-based specialty services each month, including music therapy, art therapy, garden therapy and pet therapy.
- Up to 2 hours of respite care services every 3 months for members not in the Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP).
- $10 gift card and stuffed bear for members who complete a follow-up appointment within 7 days of leaving an inpatient psychiatric facility.
Restrictions and limitations may apply.
For more information on STAR Kids, visit the HHSC Texas STAR Kids website.