We Do More for STAR Kids Members.
Discover Superior HealthPlan
STAR Kids is health insurance for children with disabilities, special needs or chronic conditions, who are age 20 or younger. Superior works with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) to provide these services.
Some of the conditions that may qualify children and youth for STAR Kids include: HIV infection, total blindness, total deafness, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, severe intellectual disability (child age 7 or older), or birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces.
To get STAR Kids services, an individual must:
- Be age 20 or younger.
- Currently get Supplemental Security Income-related Medicaid or be enrolled in a home and community-based services waiver program, including:
- Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP).
- Home and Community-based Services (HCS).
- Community Living Assistance and Supports Services (CLASS).
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD).
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL).
- Youth Empowerment Services (YES).
- Prescription drugs.
- Primary and specialty care.
- Hospital care.
- Personal care services.
- Private duty nursing.
- Medical supplies and equipment.
- Behavioral health services.
In 2016 when STAR Kids started, children and youth under the age of 21 who received Social Security Income (SSI) and were enrolled in STAR or STAR+PLUS transitioned to STAR Kids. Children and youth who were enrolled in the Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP) began to get of their services through STAR Kids.
Superior offers STAR Kids in the following service areas:
- El Paso
- MRSA West
Superior HealthPlan wants to make sure your child gets the right care. That's why we offer Value-added Services for our members. These are extra health-care services you or your child may be able to get in addition to regular benefits. Visit our Value-added Services webpage for more information. If you want to learn more about these extra benefits, call STAR Kids Member Services at 1-844-590-4883.
- In-home respite services for members not in the Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP).
- Up to $30 every quarter, per member for commonly-used over-the-counter items.
- Up to $150 each year for members to enroll in approved camps.
- $20 gift card and journal for members who complete a follow-up appointment within 7 days of leaving the hospital for an inpatient behavioral health or substance abuse stay.
- 10 home-delivered prepared meals per year for members following discharge from an acute inpatient hospital stay.
- Online resources. Online and mobile-accessible mental health and nicotine recovery resources.
- Findhelp online directory to help locate community services.
- Annual school/sports physicals for children ages 4 through 18 years.
- Joy for All™ battery-operated plush companion pet for members enrolled in Behavioral Health Disease Management for at least 30 days.
- An online “caring community” enabling members to engage friends and family as it relates to their healing or healthcare journey. Create a Careopolis.
- $25 reward for members ages 18 to 20 years old who successfully complete their transition assessment on time.
- $15 reward for successful completion and submission of proper guardianship paperwork, including notarized documents for members 18 years of age and older.
- $25 reward for members 11 to 16 years old who participate in a wellness activity, non-school sports program or a community physical activity.**
- My Health Pays®, a rewards program for completing health-related activities. Rewards include:
- $20 for completing a Texas Health Steps checkup within 90 days of joining Superior
- $120 for completing 6 Texas Health Steps checkups on schedule (ages 0-15 months)
- $20 for completing a yearly Texas Health Steps checkup (ages 3-20 years)
- $20 for members ages 18-20 years old getting a well-woman exam (for females)
- $10 for members ages 18-20 years old getting a flu shot
- Help for members with asthma. Members enrolled in Asthma Disease Management for 60 continuous days get an allergy free mattress cover and pillowcase.
- Start Smart® program for pregnant women. Rewards include baby shower, diaper bag, diapers, educational materials, access to a mobile app for pregnancy-related support and up to $100 for healthy activities related to your pregnancy and delivery.
- In lieu of the standard benefit, $150 extra vision benefit toward an upgrade of frames, lenses, or contacts, once every two years.
- $25 reward to non-MDCP members after 90-days of continuous enrollment who:***
- Complete their annual STAR Kids Screening and Assessment timely, and;
- Return the signed Individual Service Plan and;
- Are up to date with their Texas Health Steps checkups.
Visit My Health Pays® for more rewards information.
These services are valid from 9/1/22 through 8/31/23.
* Restrictions and limitations may apply. Services may vary by area. ** Only available to members in Nueces and Hidalgo service delivery areas. *** Only available to members in MRSA West and Lubbock service delivery areas.
For more information on STAR Kids, visit the HHSC Texas STAR Kids website.