Diabetes Management Program
Superior HealthPlan Help and Support for Members with Diabetes
At Superior, we believe diabetes shouldn’t get in the way of living your life. So, we’re doing what we can to help you take control with our diabetes management program. Use the resources below to help you manage your diabetes.
Diabetes Care Management Program
As a Superior member, you have access to our Diabetes Care Management program. Our team will work closely with you to get you on track for feeling your best. They can also help answer any questions you may have, such as:
- What foods and activities affect my diabetes?
- How do I test my blood sugar?
- Should I go the emergency room if I am feeling dizzy?
- How do my diabetes medicines work?
- What do I need to do when my blood sugar is too low?
Joining the diabetes management program is easy. Simply call Member Services to get started.
Diabetes Reversal with Virta
Superior HealthPlan members who are in the following programs, have type 2 diabetes and are between the ages of 18-79 have access to Virta at no cost.
- STAR Health
- STAR Kids
- Superior HealthPlan STAR+PLUS Medicare-Medicaid Plan (MMP)
- Allwell from Superior HealthPlan
Virta is very different from other diabetes treatments. Virta teaches you how to change your diet so that your body burns fat for energy. This lowers your blood sugar and need for diabetes medication. Imagine eating eggs, bacon, and avocado for breakfast!
You don’t have to eat specific foods, so Virta can work for anyone. From budget-friendly meals to fast food, your Virta health coach will help you figure out what works best for you.
With Virta, you get care online through their smartphone app. Your Virta care team will keep you safe and help you succeed on the treatment. Virta includes the following at no cost to you:
- A doctor-led care team.
- A personal health coach.
- Diabetes testing supplies.
Get more information and learn how to get started:
- STAR, STAR Health, STAR Kids, and STAR+PLUS members can visit www.virtahealth.com/join/superior.
- STAR+PLUS MMP members can visit www.virtahealth.com/join/mmp-tx.
- Allwell from Superior HealthPlan members can visit www.virtahealth.com/join/allwell-tx.
Additional Diabetes Resources
- How to Prevent and Treat Pre-Diabetes
Learn about preventing, treating and even reversing pre-diabetes.
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Ask the Experts Living with Diabetes Q&A Series
A list of monthly Q&A sessions with experts you can register to join.
- ADA Office Directory
Find your local ADA office.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Diabetes and Mental Health Guide
Resources and tips to help manage your diabetes and mental health.
- Diabetes and Depression (PDF)
Understand the signs, symptoms and treatment options for depression.
- ADA Nutrition Guide
A nutrition guide to help you form better eating habits.
- ADA Keys to Healthy Eating
Tips to help you eat healthy.
- ADA Guide to Understanding Food Labels
Understand how to read food labels to help you make the right chioces for your diet.
- ADA Guide to Understanding Carbs
Understand more about carbs and including them in your diet.
- Healthy Recipes Library
A library of recipes and meal plans to help you keep your health on track.
- Consumer Nutrition One-Pager: Food for Thought (PDF)
Key takeaways from ADA's Nutrition Consensus Report.
- CDC Guide to Being More Active
Guide to people with diabetes to become more active and start exercising.
- ADA Get and Stay Fit Guide
How to start exercising to get and stay fit.
- ADA Weight Loss Guide
Resources to help you lose weight for good.
Health Visit Forms
Do you have questions when you go to the doctor? The forms below can be used to help you ask the right questions when you or your child visit the doctor.
American Diabetes Association Information