Consumer Directed Services (CDS)
Consumer Directed Services (CDS) is for Medicaid members who need extra support. It’s a program that allows members to hire and manage the people who provide their services. It’s for people who need personal assistance or respite services within their current home and community-based program.
With CDS, members can:
- Hire employees.
- Set employee schedules.
- Assign employee duties.
- Train employees on how they want tasks completed.
- Decide how much to pay their employees.
The CDS option is available in the following Medicaid long-term services and supports (LTSS) programs:
- STAR Kids
- STAR Kids Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)
- STAR+PLUS Home and Community-based Services (HCBS)
- STAR Health
- STAR Health Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)
- Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)
- Consumer Managed Personal Attendant Services (CMPAS)
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD)
- Home and Community-based Services (HCBS)
- Primary Home Care (PHC), Family Care (FC), and Community Attendant Services (CAS)
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL)
If a member chooses to be in CDS, they will work through a contracted Financial Management Services Agency (FMSA). The FMSA can help members get started and give them training and support if they need it.
How Superior Can Help You Sign Up for CDS
This video from Superior provides an overview about CDS. Watch now to see how Superior can support members who want to have more control over who provides their care.
The Consumer Directed Services Option
This video from Texas Health and Human Services (HHSC) video provides information about CDS. Watch now to learn about using the CDS option to receive services.