Skip to Main Content

Community First Choice

CFC is a Medicaid benefit that provides extra help for people with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) or physical disabilities. CFC services can vary based on your goals and needs. Superior will work with the Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) and Local Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Authorities (LIDDA) to help you get CFC services.

You can get these services if you:

  • Are enrolled in STAR+PLUS or STAR Kids, and are not getting Long-Term Support Services (LTSS) through a 1915(c) waiver but may be on an interest list for one of those waivers; and
  • Meet the eligibility requirements for entry into an Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with an Intellectual Disability (IDD), Nursing Facility (NF) or Institution for Mental Disease (IMD).

CFC services are based on your needs and preferences. You can select and train a family member or someone else to provide these services. However, you cannot select a spouse. You also cannot select a legal guardian if you are under the age of 21.

CFC also helps you get services that help increase independence. These include learning how to use public transportation, help with social activities and learning about resources in your community.

  • Personal Assistance Services (PAS): Help with daily living activities and health-related tasks.
  • Habilitation: Services to help learn new skills and care for yourself.
  • Emergency Response Services (ERS): An alert system if you live alone or are alone for most of the day.
  • Support Management: Training on how to select, manage and dismiss attendants.

Yes, CFC services require an authorization. Call your Service Coordinator for more information.

  • DADS will help you get CFC services if you are in a waiver. These services will not cost you anything. If you get services through a waiver, you will continue to get the same services you get today. Superior will still provide doctor visits and hospital services if you are enrolled in one of these waivers:
  • Home and Community-based Services (HCS).
  • Texas Home Living (TxHmL).
  • Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS).
  • Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD).

An LOC assessment determines if you need care from a Nursing Facility, Intermediate Care Facility or Institution for Mental Disease. After an LOC assessment is done, Superior will work with you to complete a CFC assessment. Superior will partner with LIDDA to complete assessments for people 21 years old and over after the LOC has been approved. If you or anyone else thinks an assessment is needed, call Superior Service Coordination.

Members are able to choose if their CFC services are delivered through Consumer Directed Services (CDS) or Service Responsibility Option (SRO) or through an Agency Option (AO). If you do not choose CDS, only certain providers can offer CFC services. These providers must be contracted with Superior to qualify and be approved to offer CFC services. Provider types include:

  • Licensed home and community support services agencies.
  • Certified HCS and TXHmL providers.
  • Licensed emergency response services agencies.
  • Qualified financial management services agencies if you choose CDS.

  • STAR+PLUS or STAR Kids waiver members who are Medical Assistance Only (MAO) are not eligible.
  • Members who don’t need care from an Intermediate Care Facility, Nursing Facility or Institution for Mental Disease are not eligible.

STAR+PLUS Service Coordination: 1-877-277-9772
STAR Kids Service Coordination: 1-844-433-2074