Skip to Main Content

Behavioral Health

Behavioral health refers to mental health and substance abuse (alcohol and drug) treatment. If you need help with a behavioral health problem, you should call your doctor or Superior. We have a group of mental health and substance abuse specialists to help you.

You do not have to get a referral from your doctor for these services. Superior will help you find the best provider. Call the number on the back of your Superior member ID card to get help right away, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Help might be needed if you:

  • Can’t cope with daily life.
  • Feel very sad, stressed or worried.
  • Are not sleeping or eating well.
  • Want to hurt yourself or others or have thoughts about hurting yourself.
  • Are troubled by strange thoughts (such as hearing voices).
  • Drink or use other substances more than usual.
  • Have problems at work or at home.
  • Seem to be having problems at school.

When you have a mental health or substance abuse problem, it is important to work with someone who knows you. We can help you find a provider who will be a good match for you. The most important thing is for you to have someone to talk to so you can work on solving your problems.

You should call 911 if you are having a life-threatening behavioral health emergency. You can also go to a crisis center or the nearest emergency room. You do not have to wait for an emergency to get help. Call the number on the back of your Superior member ID card for someone to help you with depression, mental illness, substance abuse or emotional questions.

If you are already getting care, ask your provider if they are in the Superior network. If the answer is yes, you do not need to do anything. If the answer is no, call the number on the back of your Superior member ID card. We will ask your provider to join our network. We want you to keep getting the care you need. If the provider does not want to join the Superior network, we will work with the provider to keep caring for you until medical records can be transferred to a new Superior doctor.

Superior can also help members get better access to care and community support services through Mental Health Targeted Case Management (MH-TCM). To get these services call the number on the back of your Superior member ID card. These are services that help members with severe mental illness, behavioral or emotional problems.

Superior offers these behavioral health services:

  • Education, planning and coordination of behavioral health services.
  • Outpatient mental health and substance abuse services.
  • Psychiatric partial and inpatient hospital services (for members 21 and under). Learn more about specialized treatment Partial Hospitalization Programs (PDF), those who may benefit from planned programming, but do not need 24-hour supervision or medical assistance.
  • Non-hospital and inpatient residential detoxification, rehabilitation and half-way house crisis services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Residential care (for members 21 and under).
  • Medications for mental health and substance abuse care.
  • Lab services.
  • Referrals to other community resources.
  • Transitional health care services.

Please visit myStrength for free online behavioral health resources.

If you believe you or someone you care about would benefit from mental health services, the Friends and Family Guide to Adult Mental Health Services may hold the answer to your questions.